[Scons-users] Code not rebuilt when switching between two VisualStudio versions

Steve Hill (Wireless) Steve.Hill1 at viavisolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 03:54:19 EDT 2021

Hi all,

We are using SCons 3.1.2 and are evaluating moving from MSVS 2017 to MSVS 2019. We have provided a mechanism to switch the setting of MSVS_VERSION/MSVC_VERSION from 14.1 to 14.2 when the Environment is created, and this works well when building clean or incrementally with the same toolchain. However, if switching between toolchains, the C/C++ files don't get rebuilt and, as soon as one file is changed and rebuilt so that the linker is invoked, we get a linker failure. It is almost like the compiler is not included as a dependency of the object file? Can anyone give me a clue as to how to ensure that the files are correctly rebuilt (ideally without having to change the places where the files are added into SCons, as our codebase is quite large.)

Thanks,

Steve.