[Scons-users] SCons 4.2.0 Released
bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sat Jul 31 23:37:53 EDT 2021
A new SCons release, 4.2.0, is now available
on the SCons download page:
Here is a summary of the changes since 4.1.0:
NOTE: The 4.2.0 Release of SCons will deprecate Python 3.5 Support. Python
3.5 support will be dropped in the next major release.
- Add support for the
This will provide a path relative to the top of the build tree (where
the SConstruct is located)
- Added --experimental flag, to enable various experimental
features/tools. You can specify
'all', 'none', or any combination of available experimental features.
- Added affect_signature flag to _concat function. If set to False,
it will prepend and append $( and $).
That way the various Environment variables can use that rather than
"$( _concat(...) $)".
- Deprecate Python 3.5 as a supported version.
CHANGED/ENHANCED EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY
- SCons now supports the command-line parameter `--hash-format` to
override the default
hash format that SCons uses. It can also be set via
values are: `md5`, `sha1`, and `sha256`. For all hash formats other
the default of `md5`, the SConsign database will include the name of
the hash format.
For example, `--hash-format=sha256` will create a SConsign with name
- Improve Subst()'s logic to check for proper callable function or
class's argument list.
It will now allow callables with expected args, and any extra args as
long as they
have default arguments. Additionally functions with no defaults for
as long as they are set using functools.partial to create a new
callable which set them.
- Internal has_key methods removed from SCons' dictionary-like objects
SubstitutionEnvironment and OverrideEnvironment - in other words,
an env - to match Python 3 which no longer has dict.has_key.
- Removed long-deprecated construction variables PDFCOM,
WIN32DEFPREFIX, WIN32DEFSUFFIX, WIN32EXPPREFIX, WIN32EXPSUFFIX.
All have been replaced by other names since at least 1.0.
- Added CACHEDIR_CLASS construction variable and expanded CacheDir
to support SCons invoking CacheDir derived classes for CacheDir
Moved copy_from_cache attribute from the Environment class to
Code contributed by MongoDB.
- Update BuildTask to pass all targets to the progress object fixing an
where multi-target build nodes only got the first target passed to
- Change SConscript() missing SConscript behavior - if must_exist=False,
the warning is suppressed.
- The command-line parameter `--md5-chunksize` is now deprecated. Use
- Fix Issue #3906 - `IMPLICIT_COMMAND_DEPENDENCIES` was not properly
set to any string value (For example ['none','false','no','off'])
Also previously 'All' wouldn't have the desired affect.
- DocbookXslt tool: The XSLT stylesheet file is now initialized to an
such that dependencies work correctly in hierarchical builds (eg when
DocbookXslt in SConscript('subdir/SConscript') context.
- The Install builder will now set the writable mode on the file(s) it
copies. This restores the (previously undocumented) SCons behavior
that regressed as of 4.0.0.
- Fix issue #3790: Generators in CPPDEFINES now have access to
and target lists
- Fix a potential race condition in shared cache environments where the
not writeable for a moment after the file has been renamed and other
builds (users) will copy
it out of the cacheSmall reorganization of logic to copy files from
cachedir. Moved CacheDir
writeable permission code for copy to cache behind the atomic rename
- Fixed intermediate and and multi target nodes generated from SConf
tests not being marked
Thanks to the following contributors listed below for their contributions
to this release.
.. code-block:: text
git shortlog --no-merges -ns 4.1.0..HEAD
177 William Deegan
101 Daniel Moody
95 Mats Wichmann
25 Adam Gross
4 Henrik Maier
4 Mathew Robinson
3 Andrew Morrow
3 Ivan Kravets
3 Dillan Mills
1 Joseph Brill
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Scons-users