[Scons-users] Attaching an emitter to an existing builder

Jeremy Elson jelson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 19:19:46 EST 2021

Thanks, everyone for the help -- PROGEMITTER worked perfectly:

        # Add map creation as a linker flag, and modify the standard Program
        # emitter to know that map generation is a side-effect
        map_filename = os.path.join(build_obj_dir, f"{target.name}.map")
        env.Append(LINKFLAGS = f"-Wl,-Map={map_filename},--cref")
        def map_emitter(target, source, env):
            assert(str(target[0]) == os.path.abspath(program_name))
            target.append(map_filename)
            return target, source
        env.Append(PROGEMITTER = [map_emitter])

My only concern with PROGEMITTER was that it was not a general solution to
this problem -- i.e., what if I want to override something other than
Program()? But from looking at MSlink.py as Mats suggested, it seems that
nearly all the standard builders have similar overrides (SHLIBEMITTER,
LDMODULEEMITTER, etc). I guess it's similar to the *COMSTR series of
constants for modifying the message printed at each build step.

Thanks again for a great build system. SCons is a pleasure to use.

-Jeremy