[Scons-users] GCC Tool breaks linker for explicitly named libraries

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Dec 27 17:29:27 EST 2021

On 12/22/21 04:18, Steve Hill (Wireless) via Scons-users wrote:
> Hi Mats (and Bill),
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>
>>> I'm presuming you meant you want -l:foo rather than -l:libfoo.a, since the former is the approved syntax.
>
> No, if you use the -l: form you have to provide the full file name so -l:foo would look for a library file called, literally, "foo"

Upon rereading the manpage entry, you're right.  I've never used this
syntax, just heard about it.

"Note that this behavior does not apply to :filename, which always
specifies a file called filename"

I do feel like SCons ought to understand about this.  I've had past
battles with this, before -l:filename existed - wrapping a library name
in -Bstatic -Bdynamic - which for the tool I was using at the time had
exactly the same problem as SCons does - you end up with a stanza that's
sorted out of order from what you might want.