[Scons-users] persistent but local tweaks to a node's environment

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Aug 1 18:28:38 EDT 2021

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 2:04 PM Gabe Black <gabe.black at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 12:20 PM Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So at the time you call StaticObject(), for example, do you know what
>> flags are needed for that  source?
>>

> No, I know what *extra* flags are needed for that source, not what those
> flags will be added to. For instance I know I need to disable a warning
> because of an unavoidable local false positive, but not to enable debug
> information, or turn up optimizations.

O.k. That's what I meant (but wasn't as clear as was needed.. ;)
Where is that info stored? in the Environment() or outside of it?
Can I access it via something like the following?
my_object[source_file_name]

>> Also according to your response above, I would set OBJSUFFIX in the
>> Environment() which should be per build flavor.
>>

> Yes, per my previous email I'm doing that already. as the second to last
> step, I Clone the main environment and customize it for each flavor, then
> loop over all the targets (top level and below) for each build flavor.

O.k. so no more work needed for this?

>> re a single pass in the SConscripts, if you're not directly calling SCons
>> methods, but rather building up a "database" of the build which then gets
>> processed, then it'd be possible to avoid multiple SConscript calls to each
>> SConscript, however if the logic in those SConscripts doesn't different
>> things for different variants, it seems like you'd only be adding more
>> complexity to your "database" of build info.
>>
>> Honestly, the further you get from plain SConscripts, the harder it will
>> be for developers to learn and work on your build system.
>>

> Yes, as I've mentioned several times, the idea of this is to get closer to
> plain SConscripts and remove our extra layers. I'm trying to figure out how
> to do that.

Indeed.
We'll do our best to assist.

Any chance we can get you to join us on our discord server?
https://discord.gg/pejaFYrD9n

That may speed up this discussion...