[Scons-users] persistent but local tweaks to a node's environment

Gabe Black gabe.black at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 17:04:20 EDT 2021

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 12:20 PM Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> So at the time you call StaticObject(), for example, do you know what
> flags are needed for that  source?

No, I know what *extra* flags are needed for that source, not what those
flags will be added to. For instance I know I need to disable a warning
because of an unavoidable local false positive, but not to enable debug
information, or turn up optimizations.

> (if possible shorter paragraphs would make your explanations easier to
> digest..)

Yes, but then there isn't enough detail, and the discussion has tended to
not apply to the actual problem..

> Also according to your response above, I would set OBJSUFFIX in the
> Environment() which should be per build flavor.

Yes, per my previous email I'm doing that already. as the second to last
step, I Clone the main environment and customize it for each flavor, then
loop over all the targets (top level and below) for each build flavor.

> re a single pass in the SConscripts, if you're not directly calling SCons
> methods, but rather building up a "database" of the build which then gets
> processed, then it'd be possible to avoid multiple SConscript calls to each
> SConscript, however if the logic in those SConscripts doesn't different
> things for different variants, it seems like you'd only be adding more
> complexity to your "database" of build info.
>
> Honestly, the further you get from plain SConscripts, the harder it will
> be for developers to learn and work on your build system.

Yes, as I've mentioned several times, the idea of this is to get closer to
plain SConscripts and remove our extra layers. I'm trying to figure out how
to do that.

Gabe