[Scons-users] Rebuild issue with CheckLib()?

Herzog, Tobias (G3-29) tobias.herzog at carmeq.com
Wed Apr 28 03:50:56 EDT 2021

Hi SCons-Users,

I discovered an issue (?) with missing rebuilds. It seems that rebuilds are not triggered, if the presence of an external lib is tested with the CheckLib Method.

I am using an SConstruct with the following content:

env = Environment(LIBPATH=['#mylib'])

conf = Configure(env)
if not conf.CheckLib('gtestd'):
    print('Error')
    Exit(1)
conf.Finish()

env.Append(LIBS=['gtestd'])
env.Program('test.cpp')

If you modify "mylib/gtestd.lib" (I am using MSVC compiler on Windows), no rebuild is triggered ("scons: `.' is up to date."). However the dependencies are detected correctly ("scons --tree=all"). Even with "-config=force" no rebuild is triggered. If I leave out the Configure section it works like expected.

Is this a bug or a feature? Maybe this is not a common use case, but I would expect a rebuild here.

Thanks,
Tobias