[Scons-users] Change in Install behaviour: no longer makes target file writable after copying, causing build errors

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sun Apr 11 20:05:09 EDT 2021

On 4/11/21 5:49 PM, Thomas Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 at 01:00, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us

> We could add post-actions to fix the files after installation, or write
> our own install builder I guess. But as long as it doesn't do any harm,
> it would be convenient if SCons either implements the most useful
> behaviour or allows an efficient way to configure it.
>
> We're already struggling with performance and memory usage, so adding
> tens of thousands of post-actions probably won't help.

Nobody wants to make performance worse, high performance (sarcasm hat on
here) is a well-known SCons strength we wouldn't want to erode.

It's an ongoing challenge to meaningfully measure performance impacts of
any changes, clever ideas always welcome.  e.g. the source base contains
some benchmark programs that don't currently work because they try to
calibrate to some kind of baseline, but calibrating to 2020's systems
makes them unrunnable because of some other constraint, vs. calibration
to 2010's systems: meaning there's some poorly understood underlying
condition which doesn't relate to SCons.  We could change the way the
calibration is done, but does that actually get to the essence of what
needs to be measured?