[Scons-users] TempFileMunge conflicts with ccache

Daniel Moody dmoody256 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:02:18 EDT 2020

I was recently messing with ccache and ran into this, and I noticed a
github issue was never created (or I couldn't find one:
https://github.com/SCons/scons/issues?q=is%3Aissue+ccache)

So this happens if you set the "compiler" (e.g. $CXX) to a two word
statement like for example:

env['CXX'] = 'ccache ' +  env['CXX']

The problem with this approach is that this gets wrapped into the tempfile
command itself, for example in the msvc tool:
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/5a438e635699dfee672f0bcbbef79b57e79b4bcd/SCons/Tool/msvc.py#L254

Seems the tempfile code is expecting the "compiler" to be a single word
argument from this line where it takes only the first arg based off spaces
in the cmd (it seems to assume that cmd[0] is equal to $CXX in the above
example):
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/5a438e635699dfee672f0bcbbef79b57e79b4bcd/SCons/Platform/__init__.py#L252

There is a question here if setting a "compiler" to a two word statement is
allowable? I didn't find any documentation acknowledging it or forbidding
it, but it seems to happen to work in some cases.

The above example will work if you remove ccache out of the "compiler"
statement and put it into the full command statement like this for example:

env['CXXCOM'] = 'ccache ' +  env['CXXCOM']

That results in tempfile link being correctly given to the "compiler" and
'ccache' still sitting out in front of the final command like it is
supposed to. This does have a draw back that you can't set CXX from the
command line potentially, or rather it would be difficult to set CXXCOM
from the command line.

So seems there should be a github issue to update either tempfile to work
with two word "compilers"  OR documentation discouraging or denying support
for two word compiler statements