[Scons-users] visual studio 2019 with 2017 addon

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Jun 9 12:13:50 EDT 2020

On 6/8/20 2:19 PM, Pierre-Luc Boily wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So, I developed my application with visual studio 2017 (14.1)
>
> The IT team, on their build server, they want to install visual studio 2019
> with added support for 141 aka 2017.   IT team told me this is the way
> Microsoft wants people to do this.
>
> The problem is scons don't find any 14.1(2017) installation, he only find
> 14.2(2019).
>
> Is there something I could do to tell scons that 141 is installed somewhere
> in vs2019 installation?

It looks theoretically possible that if you have a batch file which sets
up the environment correctly for the compiler you want to use, you can
pass the path to it in env['MSVC_USE_SCRIPT'] and have SCons use that
(this is in the manpage).  It might be necessary to craft that batch
file yourself, i.e. it's not certain that a 14.1 under VS2019 actually
provides the right one. Won't know until it's tried, it was apparently
intended that way but it's also possible that a bunch of subsequent
wiring and duct taping might cause it to no longer work.

As was noted in the github issue, it sounds like even Microsoft hasn't
completely figured out how to find individual versions within a specific
VS product - some of the links there made it look like a
gefingerpointing exercise: "no, it's YOUR job to solve that".