[Scons-users] Need a better message when MSVC caching enabled

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 22:58:07 EST 2020

So, I updated MSVC on a couple of machines today and all of a sudden I'm
getting error messages about "cl not found".

>>> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
>>>
>>> scons: warning: Could not find MSVC compiler 'cl', it may need to be
installed separately with Visual Studio
>>> File "SConstruct", line 54, in __init__

I start digging in and the  path is pointing to the old version of the
compiler, hmm where is this coming from?  A couple hours of hair pulling
later I realize, oh $#!t, I've got SCONS_CACHE_MSVC_CONFIG turned on, so I
delete ~/.scons_msvc_cache, voila, everything works fine.

Could we enhance the warning message to also say something like "if you
have caching enabled, it may be out of date, see <path-to-cache-file>" or
something like that?

I personally will never forget this again 😬, but it might help someone
else in the future.