[Scons-users] flow of target handling

daggs daggs at gmx.com
Mon Aug 17 12:45:33 EDT 2020

Greetings,

I want to inquire what does scons does for the target of an action if it detects one of it's deps have changed.
the reason I'm asking is that I have an action that runs a script, the script is part of the deps (e.g. exists)
and the target is a file generated by the script (named fileA).
the action is a dep of multiple other actions.
what I see is that scons decides to rebuild the target because it's detects the script has changed so it rebuilds it.
just for the sake of the test, I've changed the script to create fileA and fileB and if fileB is changed the script gets executed.
I've expected no see one execution but I see two.

so I'm having hard time to understand how scons works in this situation.

can anyone help understand the behavior?

Thanks,

Dagg.