[Scons-users] SConsignFile(None) + Decider('MD5-timestamp')

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Aug 13 11:22:03 EDT 2020

On 8/13/20 9:10 AM, trevor fitzsimmons wrote:
> Sorry, somehow this email ended up in junk & I didn't see it when
> replying to the other one.
>
> The goal is to be able to build from any directory, and only have
> necessary targets rebuilt.  SConsignFile(None) seemed to be the only
> option I could find to do this.
>
> The example was simplified.  The real project has many nested
> directories, libraries, programs, etc.  Typically, builds are run from
> the top level, to build all changes (like when pulling changes from
> other developers).  However, it's also very helpful to be able to build
> from a specific directory when writing code (perhaps a single library,
> or a set of relate libraries), to avoid waiting on a full rebuild.
>
> Is there another setup that accomplishes this?  Maybe I just need to
> restructure things.

You can give the name of the specific directory as a commandline
argument to restrict the build from the top.

You can also use some combination of the -C, -d, -U and -u options to
adjust the behavior if your not at the top, such that you can be in the
directory you want to build in, and kick off a build by going "scons -u"
for example.