[Scons-users] Notice: SCons will drop Python 2.7.* support with SCons version 4.0.0 before end of 2019

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Mon Sep 30 17:10:21 EDT 2019

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Bill Deegan wrote:

> To simplify support and to enable us to use some native Python 3.5+ features we'll be dropping python 2.7.* support with SCons
> version 4.0.0 which we expect to release before the end of 2019.

Unfortuately I didn't have a chance to vote against this, but an important
point is being missed here.  Although it's possible in principle for a
project to build for a different Python version than the one running
SCons, nothing is offered to assist with that, and many projects don't
bother to provide the necessary code to allow the distinction.  For such
projects, the only way to specify a target Python is to run SCons with
that Python.  For such projects, any dropping of Python versions in SCons
is then inflicted on those projects.  And if they provide Python modules
used by other projects, *those* projects are also impacted.  Thus, there
is a huge domino effect, which is especially significant in Python 2 vs.
Python 3, due to Python 3's incompatibilities.

> Note that Python 2.7 is End of Life is Jan 1, 2020.
> https://pythonclock.org/

Anyone who equates "end of life" with "expiration" has obviously never
worked with hardware. :-)

Fred Wright