[Scons-users] Possible python 3 issue?

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Oct 16 12:04:55 EDT 2019

Hi,

I have been successfully using scons 3.1.0 with python 2.7.12 to build a
mostly Fortran based software project on Linux (multiple distributions).
I have the source tree separated from the build directory and are
therefore using variantdir and an SConscript file. Recently I tried to
run this with python 3.7.4 and found that it did not work as scons
failed to correctly find the dependencies on module files.

I was able to reproduce this with a smaller test example that mimics the
setup in my larger software project. I have attached a zip file with
that source tree as well as build log files (in build_log.2.7.12 and
build_log.3.7.4) with all errors and output when building with
scons --tree=all. As can be seen from the build log files, when building
with python 3, scons does not seem to find the dependencies of the main
program on the module files.

I have also tried with the latest release version of scons 3.1.1 with
the same results. It works with python 2 but not with python 3.

So my question is: am I doing something wrong in my SConstruct and
SConscript files that just happens to work with python 2 and not with
python 3? Or is this a problem with scons and python 3?

Cheers,

   Peter Diener