[Scons-users] MSVC is broken for x86 builds on x64 hosts

Joseph C. Brill jbrill at mindspring.com
Wed May 22 12:43:20 EDT 2019

As a check-list item, has the original environment been tested from the
windows command-line using vcvarsall.bat to verify that the installed batch
files are doing what is expected?

As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I had an installation of MSVC 2005
(8.0) x86 where the batch files to setup the environment to compile for x64
architectures was incomplete.  This was fairly difficult to diagnose.  Not
all of the environment variables necessary for
"vc/bin/x86_amd64/vcvars86_amd64.bat" were set correctly resulting in the
build environment not being set correctly.  This problem is even worse if
you have a different compiler on the system path when invoking the batch
files.

In my case, the following environment variables needed to be added to the
beginning of the generated msvc batch files:

@SET VSINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8

@SET VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC

@SET FrameworkDir=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

@SET FrameworkVersion=v2.0.50727

@SET FrameworkSDKDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0

It doesn't hurt to test out the environment directly to rule out the
generated batch files to configure the environment.