[Scons-users] 3.0.5 msvc path construction problem

Joseph C. Brill jbrill at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 27 08:53:54 EDT 2019

SCons 3.0.5 adds additional paths to the ENV['PATH'] after the default MSVC
configuration as compared to SCons 3.0.4.

The following paths are added to the ENV['PATH'] after the msvc
configuration in SCons 3.0.5:
    C:\\ProgramData\\chocolatey\\bin;
    C:\\msys64;
    C:\\msys;
    C:\\cygwin64\\bin;
    C:\\cygwin\\bin;
    C:/Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.8.0_172\\bin;

The following paths are added to the ENV['PATH'] after the msvc
configuration in SCons 3.0.4:
    C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.8.0_172\\bin;

When configured from the command line using vcvarsall.bat, the JDK is not
added to the path.

In a build script, the mingw-w64 path is manually added to the end of the
environment path using AppendENVPath().  The build fails due to the
appearance of C:\cygwin\bin on the path in front of the desired mingw-64
path added from user space.  The failure is due to dlltool being called to
produce a 64-bit import library on a 32-bit system.  Evidently, the cygwin
dlltool does not support this (or is not configured correctly).

I don't believe that any of the chocolatey, mingw, cygwin, or JDK paths
should be added to the ENV['PATH'] for an msvc build.

Since I am not a java/jdk user, I never noticed the JDK being automatically
added to the path.

The above applies to MSVC 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2017.

Regards,
Joe