[Scons-users] Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with SCons for cross-compiling

damien at khubla.com damien at khubla.com
Thu Jun 20 11:28:58 EDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: Scons-users <scons-users-bounces at scons.org> On Behalf Of Mats Wichmann
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:18 AM
To: SCons users mailing list <scons-users at scons.org>; Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
Doesn't WSL2 fix this with a real Linux subsystem all the way down? We ran into the same problems with WSL 1, but we do actual Linux builds anyway so it didn't really impact us, it was just for convenience.

Damien

Subject: Re: [Scons-users] Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with SCons for cross-compiling

On 6/20/19 8:56 AM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> I"m going to agree with Jason.
> SCons interrogates the system it's on to decide about initializing
> various tools. To get scons to think it's on a linux system when it
> does such on a windows system, but only for one Environment() would be
> likely way more work than it's worth.
>
> BTW - Mats - I wouldn't consider this really cross building as it's
> really building on linux from windows.  And it's not that bad to setup.
> Of course pull request to make it easier to cross compile and/or
> docs/wiki pages always welcome.. ;)

Well, it kinda is:  scons running in the windows context to run commands which are running in the linux context.  But yeah, it's not the classical case, which I don't know how to fix or I would have done it for IoTivity (of course I knew much much less about scons then!).

But I think this was really the crux of it: if it's Windows scons, everything it finds is going to be in the Windows filesystem, then you try to run actions which are going to need tools in the Linux container
- and last I knew Microsoft still said there wasn't support for Windows commands looking at files inside the Linux environment (although it works the other direction).

So scons will have detected all the wrong stuff.