[Scons-users] moving a build to a subdirectory

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Feb 20 14:50:15 EST 2019

I'm running into a problem I don't quite understand.

One directory in the problems has a bunch of examples that show how you
create apps using the libraries that make up the main part of the
project (aka "the stack").  These have been tossed in over time, and not
maintained, and a number of project newcomers have gotten confused
looking at code that doesn't actually work.

I've been requested to move them out of the way, so what's immediately
visible is the few supported and known working examples, but if you
wanted to look at the others, maybe because they excercise some
different part of the stack, you can do so with the warning it may not
be working as written.  So much for the concept.

Starting from a working build, I moved these files into a subdirectory,
and tried two ways:

- new sconscript in the subdirectory, which reads the same environment
set up in the original location (passed in the SConscript call and read
in via Import())

- adjust existing sconscript to refer to source files in the
subdirectory for the moved examples.

In both cases, when it gets to building those, the build tips over on
header files not found.  CPPPATHS is built up using #path/to notation,
so it should just work?

I'm sure I'm left out something in this description, and equally sure
I'm missing something obvious... but any idea what's happening?