[Scons-users] Subst and word splitting

Matthew Ryan mjr at centauri.org
Fri Apr 19 17:15:05 EDT 2019

I've found that the following (a minimal simplification of a more
complex builder)
does not work:
    Command('target', ['source'], [['sh', '-c', 'cat $SOURCES >$TARGET']])

It results in the following command being run:
    sh -c "cat source >" target

It seems that no combination of space/no-space on either side of the '>'
works.

I've attached a patch that seems to work (it's actually been in use since
SCons 0.97 in the setup I inherited and I'm finally trying to upstream some
of our patches).  I'm just not sure if the patch fixes the issue in the correct
location, given the comments in the affected function.

 - Matt