[Scons-users] cleaning and surprises

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Sep 21 16:01:06 EDT 2018

On 09/21/2018 01:14 PM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Mats,
>
> If your SConscripts are doing a lot of miscellaneous python logic which
> create those files and/or use Execute(), then that an issue with your build
> setup.
> If SCons is doing that, I'd be quite surprised with the exception of any
> configure context files.

okay, so let me clarify further.

I know some of what my project does wrong - like one of the scripts that
does do configure stuff being called repeatedly from different places
instead of saving the information once and reusing it.  Yes, some of it
is "just doing things in Python" as we've discussed elsewhere.  I can
even fix some of it fairly cheaply, if I can ever get people to review
the script changes (certainly not scons' problem).  There's not actually
much calling of Execute.

The question was more from the scons viewpoint: it seems like it's hard
for people to discover the best practices, or alternatively, the worst
practices. It seems like the folks who set this project up found a lot
of suboptimal alleys to drive down. We seem not to be alone in that.