[Scons-users] Clone effectiveness

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Sep 13 15:20:27 EDT 2018

On 09/13/2018 12:52 PM, Damien Hocking wrote:
> We do this too.  Most dlls and sos have a cloned environment.

As I said earlier, we clone lots (>90% of our sconscripts contain a
Clone() call), but the actual build time dwarfs the "process the
SConscripts" phase (*) so I don't worry much about it. We're not getting
killed on memory; I can build easily enough in a 2gb Vagrant-provisioned
(Linux) image. So while I'd like to *know* the numbers, it's mostly
curiosity.

Maybe we can resurrect some of the benchmarking/timing code that exists
in the codebase now to get more info?

* - recent build timings:
Total build time: 360.533189 seconds  (using scons -j4)
Total SConscript file execution time: 14.785102 seconds

15 seconds is slow, but if I sped up the sconscript time by 50%, I'd
still make no more than a 2% impact on the overall time.