[Scons-users] Want to Make SCons builder thread-safe

Hill, Steve (FP COM) Steve.Hill at cobham.com
Thu Mar 15 05:10:46 EDT 2018

Hi Vishal,

It sounds as though your issue could be with having multiple instances of the compiler running at the same time. The build system that I maintain has multiple tool chains and we have come across this with a couple of them. We have used two different solutions:

1) Where the tool (a linker in this case) was not invoked a large number of times, we added a SideEffect to the invocation so that SCons will not run multiple instance in parallel but will find other jobs to run instead

2) Where the tool (this time a compiler) was invoked a lot, we had to investigate the root cause and we discovered that the issue was actually with some temporary files created and used by the compiler. These were written to a default directory, so multiple invocations running at the same time would trample on each other. We found the command-line options to explicitly set the directory to use for these files and set that to a different directory for each invocation. This worked around the problem and parallel builds then worked reliably.

HTH,

Steve.