[Scons-users] Creating SConscripts on the fly

Hua Yanghao huayanghao at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 15:23:00 EST 2018

> Because you can have N variant_dirs for a given source dir allowing multiple
> variations of a build to run at the same time.
> For example {32,64}/{release/debug/profile}/{linux,win32,osx} could
> potentially all build at the same time.
>
> So with VariantDir (or variant_dir), you're saying build is a super
> lightweight copy of src.  And in most cases either only copy what you use,
> or copy nothing, but act as if the source files were there.

I see the fundamental difference here, I always wanted something like
build/64bit/... and build/32bit/... compared to build/module_x/{64bit,32bit}/...

But Indeed I see the point is valid.

Yes the copy on GNU/Linux is actually just a hard link, you can even
just modified the "copied" file which is the same as the original one.