[Scons-users] Creating SConscripts on the fly

syost at triad.rr.com syost at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 10:12:47 EST 2018

Thanks - we are converting to SCons, and the powers that be indicated that the developers would only maintain the old style build configuration files.  So I have to parse them and build on the fly based on their contents.  To prevent confusing this conversation with the "whys", lets just say for the moment creating SConscript files on the fly is necessary (explanation below if you care).

So I guess my question is, restated more clearly:   Can I use SCons to build SConscript files and process them in one pass?  Based on my limited experience and the replies it seems like there is not; but I figured maybe someone has this figured out.

Explanation:  I could go ahead and simply execute the statements that I currently store in an SConscript; inline during the SConsctruct processing.  But that creates a couple of dilemmas for us, mainly no "audit trail".  The SConscript serves as a great, succinct audit of what a build would do for a particular module and aids in unit tests for, and code review of, my work.  That was especially handy early on while testing the parsing.  Also - I am hoping when they see how simple the SConscript files really are, we will finally get rid of the old config files and start maintaining the SConscript files.  In the end, the building inline with SConstruct is a nut I am not interested in cracking right now.