[Scons-users] Creating SConscripts on the fly

Spencer Yost syost at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 00:35:31 EST 2018

I know this has been covered before, and I apologize for plowing old ground. I did search around but came up empty handed.  I have a question:

I create my SConscript files on the fly. I have my own system for determining whether or not it needs to be built for a particular module in the tree, then I build it if needed and then make the SConscript() call.  this works great.  So I decided I want to create a builder for this SConscript creation  - just because that seemed to be the "right" way to do it.  But if I use a custom builder it will not build the software if it determines the SConscript file needs to be built.  It just creates the SConscript file. If it doesn't have to create/recreate, it will build the software.

I have become experienced enough with Scons now to realize why it is doing this. But there has to be a way to get it to build the SConscript file using a builder and build the software without running a second time.  Does anyone have a slick way of combining the creation of the SConscript while also building?  I do not have a "root"(at the SConstruct level) SConscript file - which may the be the answer - but thought  I would ask smarter people than me before I spent the time.

Thanks in advance!

Spencer Yost