[Scons-users] best practices: unit tests

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Feb 1 21:19:13 EST 2018

On 02/01/2018 04:11 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:

> Unit tests are a mixed bag.

Yeah, I know nearly all the arguments. Made a lot of them myself :)  But
that's how modern projects work: the founders lay down TDD-style "thou
shalt not write an API without unit tests" rules.  It's not my call to
change those requirements, and I think they're actually fine: API tests
work on verifying documented behavior and don't have the same
variability problems you cite.

> It sounds like referring you to an existing system would help - so,
> you might look at Ant and Maven and the structure of large Java
> projects.

Sure, you can depend on external stuff.  The project I'm on does (in
particular, the java additions do make use of Maven, but I don't touch
those bits, so...).  The question was about doing this in scons, since
this is an scons list. If the best practice is: don't try to do it in
scons, that's fine, I was just trying to flush out opinions.