[Scons-users] Recursive directories, and the ignoring of filenames.

Alistair Buxton a.j.buxton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:51:52 EDT 2018

On 3 August 2018 at 20:41, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:

>> Because the purpose of the example was to demonstrate that scons does
>> not reliably rebuild when the sources list changes. The fact that it
>> rebuilds if the action string changes is completely irrelevant, and
>> not helpful in the case where the tool takes a single directory as the
>> only argument.
>

> So if this causes the appropriate behavior but for the wrong "reason", then
> you will not use it?

I cannot use it because the tool in question only accepts a single
directory as the sole argument, and so I could not list all the files
in the action string even if I wanted to. (Which I do not.)

> As I understand it, you're trying to solve two issues to get the build you
> want:
> 1) Find the list of all dependencies correctly.  The scanner can resolve
> this.  (Especially if some of the files are built files, which you've yet to
> answer from a previous response in this email thread)
> 2) Decide if you need to rebuild (For this to work you need a correct list
> of dependencies, once again the scanner can solve this part of the puzzle).
> Then you just need an appropriate decider.

No, this is incorrect on both counts.

1) I don't need the list of dependencies, because the tool I am
running only accepts a single directory as the sole argument. The list
of dependencies is therefore useless for the purposes of generating
the action string.

2) Having a correct list of dependencies does not help in deciding if
I need to rebuild, because scons will not check if the filenames have
changed. It will therefore give the wrong result when given a correct
list of dependencies. This is the issue I am reporting, and is the
reason why none of the suggestions made so far in this thread will
work, except for the Value() based workaround I initially presented.

--
Alistair Buxton
a.j.buxton at gmail.com