[Scons-users] Recursive directories, and the ignoring of filenames.

Jack Brennen jbrennen at qti.qualcomm.com
Fri Aug 3 14:01:26 EDT 2018

Something like this seems to work for me...  It does assume that you're
in a reasonably POSIX-like environment with find and sha1sum command
line utilities.

env['SRCS_DIR'] = 'srcs'
env.Command('dir_summary.txt', '$SRCS_DIR', 'find $SOURCES -type f -exec sha1sum \{\} \; | sort > $TARGET')
env.AlwaysBuild('dir_summary.txt')

built_image = env.Command('built_image', 'dir_summary.txt', 'run_image_builder $SRCS_DIR $TARGET')

The find command will find all of the files under srcs, and create a
list of sorted message digests tagged with their filenames.  This will
be run every time you run the build, and will recreate the file
dir_summary.txt every time.

If dir_summary.txt changes, then the image builder will run and create
built_time.  If dir_summary.txt does not change, then the image builder
will not run.

It's a little bit heavyweight, in the sense that it will read every byte
of every file under the sources directory, but that could be seen as a
good thing; it will catch changes that "ls -lR" would miss.