[Scons-users] No more windows installers? (Pip/tar/zip going forward)

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:09:46 EDT 2017

I just did a quick'n'dirty test to see if I could make a true wheel, and it
was breathtakingly easy.  I will dig into this and see if I can come up
with a streamlined way to just generate the wheel directly during the
build, but post-facto converting the existing tgz was very simple.  (Run on
Win10, cpython 2.7.14 that has SCons 3.0.0 already installed.)

> git clone https://github.com/SConsProject/scons.git
> cd scons
> scons
... builds SCons ...

> cd build/dist/
> pip install wheel
> pip wheel scons-3.0.0.tar.gz
Processing c:\users\efahlgren\scons\build\dist\scons-3.0.0.tar.gz
Building wheels for collected packages: scons
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for scons: started
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for scons: finished with status 'done'
  Stored in directory: c:\users\efahlgren\scons\build\dist
Successfully built scons

> ll *.whl
-rwx------+ 1 efahlgren x 686677 2017-09-29 13:58
scons-3.0.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl*

> pip uninstall -y wheel scons
... ensure no 'wheel' package ...

> pip install scons-3.0.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
... it works! ...