[Scons-users] Surprising behavior with pipes

Andrew C. Morrow andrew.c.morrow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 10:39:45 EDT 2017

I noticed to my surprise recently that an Action that uses a pipeline
doesn't fail if one of the subcommands fails:

https://github.com/mongodb/mongo/blob/master/site_scons/site_tools/abilink.py#L66

I had a buggy version of abidw installed, and when it crashed with an
assertion, the SCons build did not terminate with an error. Instead the
partial output up to the crash was consumed by md5 and used as the result.

Is there a way to ask SCons to enforce pipefail?

Or should I be approaching this in a different way and not attempting to
use pipelines in Actions?

Thanks,
Andrew