[Scons-users] Possible 2.5.1 regression on Windows? (was: Unreliable build problem)

Hill, Steve (FP COM) Steve.Hill at cobham.com
Wed May 3 10:42:24 EDT 2017

Hi all,

While looking at the unreliable build problem (which I will return to), I upgraded to 2.5.1 (from 2.3.6). Unfortunately, this seems to have introduced an issue which is preventing me from rolling the new version out the development community: I am seeing the file handle inheritance problem again that _scons_file and _scons_open were added to work around.

We typically use between 8 and 12 build threads (depending on the physical machine that we are building on) and, when building with 2.5.1, we quite frequently see the build fail with some sort of access denied issue. The build system automatically runs handle.exe in this case and I can see that the other (unrelated) build threads have an open handle on the file at this time. Reverting to 2.3.6 results in the issue going away.

I've confirmed that _scons_open and _scons_file are both in place for the built-in file() and open() and I've monkey patched os.open to assert that it is always called with the os.O_NOINHERIT flag. Does anyone know what other functions could be causing this that I can check?

Thanks,

S.