[Scons-users] Visual Studio 2017 toolchain detection

Liviu Prodea liviuprodea at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 07:34:22 EDT 2017

After reading [Scons-users] how to configure scons for Visual Studio 2017 (RC)I learned that a solution to this problem was not found yet.What I can say for certain is that registry based detection is out. Simultaneously VSXXXCOMNTOOLS is not defined in standard Command Prompt. But there is an alternative way to find it via Start Menu shortcuts. These shortcuts are created for all users and as such are protected from accidental deletion by User Account Control.  Development Command Prompt shortcut is the point to start.  Located in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Visual Studio 2017\Visual Studio Tools, this shortcut defines under its Start In parameter the base installation directory for Visual Studio 2017.This is also defined by VSINSTALLDIR inside all Visual Studio Development Command Prompts.vcvars*bat are located in %VSINSTALLDIR%VC\Auxiliary\Build\ or %VCINSTALLDIR%Auxiliary\Build\ (shorter version using a variable exclusive to Visual Studio Command Prompts).
This should give you a starting point. I hope.