[Scons-users] SCons.Script.GetBuildFailures not reporting BuildError raised by pseudo-builder

Jean-Baptiste Lab jeanbaptiste.lab at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 02:31:31 EST 2017

On 2017-03-07 07:23, Vrijnsen, Jeroen wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> > There's an issue in the example you give which I think is the source of
> > the behaviour you are seeing: you're raising the BuildError exception
> > outside of a builder.
>
> Ok, clear. Works on my side as well.
> Does this also apply for the pseudo-builders (env.AddMethod)? Because
> we're using those a lot...
> Actually, what is the real difference between pseudo- and real builders?
The difference is probably entirely dependent on what you
pseudo-builders do...

The way I used pseudo builders is to wrap one or more complex actual
builders to present an easier to use, cleaner user-facing interface to
build stuff.

If your pseudo builders actually perform things in their code, rather
than invoke a real builder (i.e. the actions they defined are executed
at SCons(truct|script) *read time* vs add nodes and actions to SCons'
dependency graph), then you won't be able to use the machinery related
to build failures (as these would be "configuration" errors (they happen
before SCons task master kicks in)) I'm afraid.

If you could show some of your pseudo-builders code, I could see if my
gut feeling about what you're doing is right...

Hope this helps,

JB