[Scons-users] Is there a pure-python tar builder?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 00:02:42 EDT 2017

I was able to do a pure-Python tar builder by following the zip tool.
https://bitbucket.org/dholth/scons-pytar/commits/67dea6e8feb065e74391e805eab4a6dc48163251

This is related to my enscons packaging alternative. The new builder
creates PAX-format (modern utf-8) tarfiles which will be useful as sdists
to upload to PyPI. No reason to put the real uid, gid, username, groupname,
or mtime in these archives so the builder lets you override those too.
Should probably just go ahead and overwrite the original tar tool, but a
good job might require parsing common tar command line arguments for b/w
compat.

Thanks

Daniel