[Scons-users] Need help to improve the incremental build time while using SCons

Basil Mathew iambasilmathew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 01:29:44 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I have been asked to take care of the new SCons based build platform in my
organization since the colleague who made the initial integration of the
SCons system has left our organization.

I am fairly new to SCons and to Python and the first topic that I have to
deal with is to reduce the nearly 6 fold increase in incremental build time
as compared to the GMake build system, to determine that nothing has
changed and that the target is up-to-date.

For a project with "2636 C Files" and "7114 H Files", SCons takes around
"135" seconds to determine that the target is up-to-date, while it is
around "23" seconds for GMake. I have tried using the options
"MD5-TimeStamp", "Max-Drift" "MD5-TimeStamp & Max-Drift", but I do not see
any improvement in the incremental build time. I do not want to use the
"implicit_cache" option for its shortcomings. We are using SCons version
"v2.4.0.rel_2.4.0:3365:9259ea1c13d7"

I read that there are some improvements available in SCons version
"2.5.1", I will try to set this up.

In the mean while, I have these questions

1. Is the nearly 6 fold increase in the incremental build time as compared
to GMake on expected lines? I did go through the archive e-mails, but could
not get a concrete answer to the question.
2. Are there any other options that would allow me to get a more favorable
incremental build time?

I would appreciate any kind of help that I can get on this

Thank you
Basil Mathew