[Scons-users] separation of behavior between building objects for shared libs and for executables

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jun 15 16:50:00 EDT 2017

On 06/15/2017 02:18 PM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> You can create several Environment()'s with different settings, or you can
> specify the flags on env.Program(), or env.SharedObject(), or
> env.Object(),etc...
>

> What is your goal? (1000 foot view)
> Start with that, rather than if I do this thing will it do this other thing?

Goal? at this point, understanding (I'm learning by way of a project
which has grown organically with lots of essentially drive-by
contributions, as opposed to learning by building something from scratch)

I guess to see if it makes sense to build shared libraries and
executables (and other things which need "special treatment", like unit
tests, which might need linking with a testing library) from the same
sconscript, or if they should be separated into directories which have
their own scripts. I know "lump it together or separate things into
directories" is more philosophy than requirements.  And it sounds like
existing facilities such as different-environments-for-different-things
are probably sufficient to adapt either way.