[Scons-users] [Scons-dev] Support for Tools via a pip package / python module in sys path

RW garlicbready at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 20 16:21:10 EDT 2017

Hi Bill,

# Current Search Mechanism

>From what I understand of the toolpath search mechanism it searches:
1. within scons\engine\SCons\Tool for the tools bundled with scons
2. A list of directories specified within the toolpath parameter
3. A variable called DefaultToolpath within the scons source (by default is
empty)

I checked experimentally and it looks as if the syspath is not included in
the search for tools so I don't think it can pick up on modules at present
when searching for tools.

I've already added in the dot syntax in a prior commit to do something
different
The dot syntax is currently coded to search sub-directories within toolpaths
so if you have a toolname like 'Test1.TestBuilder1'
and a list of toolpaths like
C:\Lib\toolpath1
C:\Lib\toolpath2
C:\Lib\toolpath3

The places it's going to search will be something like
scons\engine\SCons\Tool\Test1\TestBuilder1
C:\Lib\toolpath1\Test1\TestBuilder1
C:\Lib\toolpath2\Test1\TestBuilder1
C:\Lib\toolpath3\Test1\TestBuilder1

I could change that around so that the dot means something else
and use another character such as forward slash (pythonesque) as the
directory separator instead.
That might be a better idea

# Overrinding

For overriding, it's currently just currently adding to the toolpath
parameter behind the scenes
so the behaviour will be the same as that, I'm not sure how that works
currently
If toolpath overrides the inbuilt tools then this should work the same way

# Suggested syntax

There's a few different ways of changing the syntax around
To give some examples of what I'm thinking based on what you've said

1. With the below example I've change the dot to a forward slash within the
toolname
"TestBuilder1" - look for tool in root of toolpath directory
"ExampleDir1/TestBuilder1" - look for tool in sub-dir of toolpath directory
"ExampleDir1/ExampleDir2/TestBuilder1" - look for tool in sub-dir of
toolpath directory

2. This example uses a # prefix in the toolname to specify to use a python
module as the base search directory (add to the toolpath)
"scons_toollib_example#TestBuilder1"
"scons_toollib_example.submod1#TestBuilder1"
"scons_toollib_example#ExampleDir1/TestBuilder1"
"scons_toollib_example#ExampleDir1/ExampleDir2/TestBuilder1"

3. We could also keep the toolmods option to avoid using a prefix as well
all that will do is find the directory where the module is located and add
that directory to the toolpath list

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks
Richard