[Scons-users] Dependency cycles. 2.4.1 -> 2.5.1

Pierre-Luc Boily pierreluc.boily at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:03:31 EST 2017

I fixed my problem.  Problem was coming from my custom builder
env.buildGenerateHeadersInLink(source =
_get_header_source(idlGeneratedHeaders)).

Basically, this custom builder was creating header files in LINK/include for
each header files in src directory.  The way I was using the custom builder
is I was giving him the whole list of header files to be created.  This was
giving this super ugly output call http://pastebin.com/tz3vZZw9

I also realized that this was creating useless dependencies.  Then, I
decided to call my custom builder like this instead:

for file in idlGeneratedHeaders:
    #target create by emitter
    env.buildGenerateHeadersInLink(target = None, file)

This gives cleaner ouput :
_generate_headers_in_link_action(["LINK\include\adacel\speech\ScenarioContext.h"],
["sr\speech\common_dds\ScenarioContext.h"])
_generate_headers_in_link_action(["LINK\include\adacel\speech\ScenarioStatus.h"],
["sr\speech\common_dds\ScenarioStatus.h"])
_generate_headers_in_link_action(["LINK\include\adacel\speech\TtsNotification.h"],
["sr\speech\common_dds\TtsNotification.h"])

Then, everything compiled perfectly.

Regarding time comparison with scons -j8
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

With SCons 2.4.1 : 717.392 s
With SCons 2.5.1 : 740.326 s

thx