[Scons-users] Using Alias

Pierre-Luc Boily pierreluc.boily at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:22:35 EST 2017

Hello,

In our code base we have some example components that don`t need to be built
out of the box.  I thought that this would be a good approach to use Alias()
in order to build our example components only when using certain targets :

# Launches ant -q
tgts = env.Command(target = os.path.join(javaTestRoot, 'compiled.txt'),
                   source = [ _get_source_files(), dds_interface_file],
                   action = ['ant jar-types  -f ' +
os.path.join(javaTestRoot, 'build.xml'),
                             'type NUL > ' + os.path.join(javaTestRoot,
'compiled.txt')])

env.Alias('ddsexamples', tgts)

>From my understanding, this should be compiled only when a user types "scons
ddsexamples".  It is not my case, because this is also compiled when typing
only "scons"

I read and reread http://scons.org/doc/HTML/scons-user.html#chap-install,
http://scons.org/doc/HTML/scons-user.html#chap-alias and the faq.  Those
examples always use 'scons install' and it seems to me that when you type
only "scons", the install Alias is not invoke.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there something that I  (certainly)
don't understand?  I feel that it may be related with Default(), which I do
not use actually.

thx