[Scons-users] conflict with scons.bat 3.0.0 and anaconda3

Toby, Brian H. toby at anl.gov
Mon Dec 4 13:15:12 EST 2017

Sorry if I am posting about a known/fixed issue, but I have recently started work with Python 3. I have noticed that on windows the scons.bat file fails (though if scons.py is invoked directly it works fine).

(root) C:\Users\toby.WIN10-VM\Documents\fsource>scons
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

The problem is related to prepending to the path:

@REM ensure the script will be executed with the Python it was installed for
set path=%~dp0;%~dp0..;%path%

where appending seems to avoid the problem

set path=%path%;%~dp0;%~dp0..

but I tend to think this is not the right solution. If this has been addressed in a new scons release it would be good to push the Anaconda folks to update.

C:\Users\toby.WIN10-VM>\conda3-64\Scripts\activate

(root) C:\Users\toby.WIN10-VM>conda list scons
# packages in environment at C:\conda3-64:
#
scons                     3.0.0            py36hb42adb4_0

Brian