[Scons-users] Out of memory writing back the database

Hill, Steve (FP COM) Steve.Hill at cobham.com
Fri Dec 1 03:48:48 EST 2017

Hi Bill,

Our code base is not that big – about 20,000 files, but most files get built multiple times (for different CPUs) and we build it in several different ways, each with many of their own VariantDirs. When the 4 most common builds are done, the .sconsign (having been deleted first) is just under 500MB but, given a bit of history or add in some of the less common builds, and it gets big enough to blow the memory space of Python.

I’ve split the .sconsign up so that largely independent builds on the same codebase are stored in a different .sconsign (initially done due to the time taken to write the .sconsign back), though I’ve had to write some custom Deciders to make this totally reliable. All in all, the .sconsign per directory (though with a .sconsign location outside the main source tree) would seem the best solution for me (and seems like it might be better performing too as not all files will need writing back for incremental builds), unless there is another option that I’m not aware of…

Thanks,

S.

Steve,

How many files are you processing? 500MB is very large for a sconsign.

Could you try mv .sconsign .sconsign.save, let your build run and see how big the new file is?

-Bill