[Scons-users] Help my build get faster... (was SCons and parts)

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Aug 18 10:14:31 EDT 2017

On 08/15/2017 08:56 PM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Pico,
>
> You can do this.
>
> env.MyBuilder(Target,Source, ANY_ENV_FLAG=['a','b','c'],
> CPPPATH=['z','d','f']
> There's no need to clone the environment to have specialized flags for a
> given builder or target..

we have a lot of Clone()s (180 at the moment) so I'd like to look into
this... the pain is in separating things for different uses, like
building a shared library wants one set of things to link with, a unit
test another (it's the only one that wants to link with gtest, which
this project uses), an example app using the lib wants another set.
Because of trouble getting things working, those tasks have often been
divided into subsidiary sconscripts, each of which then does a clone and
builds up its own env, which seems to me a bit overkill to me.

I haven't seen the above possibility listed in the docs, am I just
missing something? Applies to the Program builder, not just custom ones?
 What I actually want is not SOMEVAR=[mylist], but to add (say) one more
element to the existing SOMEVAR just for that builder invocation. That
works?