[Scons-users] Help my build get faster... (was SCons and parts)

Pico Geyer picogeyer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:44:57 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:
> Can you paste the output from:
> scons --debug=count,time,memory
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: *** No targets specified and no Default() targets found.  Stop.
Found nothing to build
Memory before reading SConscript files:    104071168
Memory after reading SConscript files:     295059456
Object counts:
       pre-   post-
       read    read   Class
          0    3003   Action.CommandAction
          0      11   Action.CommandGeneratorAction
          0      61   Action.FunctionAction
          0      35   Action.LazyAction
          0      44   Action.ListAction
          0     362   Builder.BuilderBase
          0      11   Builder.CompositeBuilder
          0    7415   Builder.OverrideWarner
          0       2   Environment.Base
          0    2319   Environment.EnvironmentClone
          0      58   Environment.OverrideEnvironment
          0    8570   Executor.Executor
          0   14600   Node.FS.Base
          0     819   Node.FS.Dir
          0    8894   Node.FS.File
          0   14780   Node.Node
Total build time: 43.431858 seconds
Total SConscript file execution time: 42.185255 seconds
Total SCons execution time: 1.246603 seconds
Total command execution time: 0.000000 seconds

> How many source files?
It's actually pretty hard for me to tell. There's quite a few
subprojects, some of which I know nothing about and some external
libraries which aren't built by scons.
But I'd guess at least a few thousand.
> How many custom builders?
I believe no more than a handful.
> Are you running shell commands in your sconstruct/sconscripts? (not
> Commands, but os.system(''), or popen..)
No
> Are you using Configure contects?
No
> How big is your .sconsign file?

ls -sh .sconsign.dblite
19M .sconsign.dblite

Is there an easy way that I can tell how long each Sconscript file
takes to process.
I have my suspicion that  one particular SConscript file is taking very long.