[Scons-users] [Scons-dev] Support for Tools via a pip package / python module in sys path

RW garlicbready at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 2 05:26:19 EDT 2017

Thanks for the info that's quite useful
it turns out I already had python-libxml2 installed but after installing
python-libxslt1
(apt-get install python-libxslt1) that seemed to resolve that problem

I can now get as far as generating the user docs in html (which is good
enough for what I need)

For info there it's highlighted another problem further down the line when
generating the pdf's. It's probably something I have or haven't got
installed under Ubuntu mate but as long as I can get as far as html output
that's good enough for me anyways

There's quite a few of these
```
+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| In /home/ric/scons-temp/scons_patched/build/scons/engine/SCons/
| Variables/PathVariable.py:
| Import failed (but source code parsing was successful).
|     Error: ImportError: No module named compat (line 43)

  [..............
+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| In /home/ric/scons-temp/scons_patched/build/scons/engine/SCons/
| Warnings.py:
| Import failed (but source code parsing was successful).
|     Error: ImportError: No module named compat (line 43)

  [...................
```

Followed by this at the end
```
Warning: No information available for SCons.Util.UniqueList's base
         collections.UserList
  [..............................
Warning: No information available for
         SCons.Variables.ListVariable._ListVariable's base
         collections.UserList
  [......................................Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/epydoc", line 13, in <module>
    cli()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/cli.py", line 971, in cli
    main(options, names)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/cli.py", line 791, in main
    write_latex(docindex, options, options.action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/cli.py", line 870, in
write_latex
    latex_writer.write(options.target)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
199, in write
    self._write(self.write_module, directory, filename, val_doc)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
217, in _write
    write_func(f.write, *args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
384, in write_module
    self.write_class(out, var_doc.value)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
412, in write_class
    out(self.base_tree(doc))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
504, in base_tree
    width = self._find_tree_width(doc)+2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
538, in _find_tree_width
    width = max(width, self._find_tree_width(base)+2)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/epydoc/docwriter/latex.py", line
537, in _find_tree_width
    for base in doc.bases:
TypeError: iteration over non-sequence
scons: *** [build/doc/scons-api/api.pdf] Error 1
```

Many Thanks
Richard

On 1 August 2017 at 16:29, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> pip
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-requests/493/updates-
>> to-user-manual-tests-for-the-use/diff#comment-None
>>

>> I'm still having problems generating the docs under the head sources
>> though
>> I had to copy the xml files to a 2.5.1 tree just to build them into html
>> to check how they would come out
>>
>> I had a root through the list of bugs but I don't think this one is
>> listed yet
>> Under the latest sources
>>
>> doc/user/tasks.xml is built to build/doc/generated/examples/t
>> asks_ex1_1.xml
>>
>> tasks.xml is the same / no change between 2.5.1 and 3.0 latest
>> but the resultant tasks_ex1_1.xml is different
>>
>> under 2.5.1 it comes out as
>> ```
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <screen xmlns="http://www.scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0" xmlns:xsi="
>> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www
>> .scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0 http://www.scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0/scons.xsd">%
>> <userinput>scons -Q</userinput>
>> cc -o app main.cpp
>> cat < foo.bar2 > foo.cpp
>> cc -o app2 main2.cpp foo.cpp
>> cat < test.bar > test.h
>> </screen>
>> ```
>>
>> under 3.0 latest it comes out as
>> ```
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <screen xmlns="http://www.scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0" xmlns:xsi="
>> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www
>> .scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0 http://www.scons.org/dbxsd/v1.0/scons.xsd">%
>> <userinput>scons -Q</userinput>
>> [?1034hcat < test.bar > test.h
>> cc -o app main.cpp
>> cat < foo.bar2 > foo.cpp
>> cc -o app2 main2.cpp foo.cpp
>> </screen>
>> ```
>>
>> I think the difference leads to an error of
>> ```
>> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
>> scons: done reading SConscript files.
>> scons: Building targets ...
>> __xinclude_lxml(["scons_xi.xml"], ["main.xml"])
>> __build_lxml(["scons_ex.xml"], ["scons_xi.xml"])
>> scons: *** [scons_exi.xml] XSLTApplyError : Cannot resolve URI
>> ../generated/examples/tasks_ex1_1.xml
>> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>> scons: *** [build/doc/user/index.html] Error 2
>> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>> ```
>>
>> Since the source file is the same I think it's something inbetween
>> if you want me to file this as a bug then let me know
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Richard
>>
>> On 20 July 2017 at 21:21, RW <garlicbready at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> # Current Search Mechanism
>>>
>>> From what I understand of the toolpath search mechanism it searches:
>>> 1. within scons\engine\SCons\Tool for the tools bundled with scons
>>> 2. A list of directories specified within the toolpath parameter
>>> 3. A variable called DefaultToolpath within the scons source (by default
>>> is empty)
>>>
>>> I checked experimentally and it looks as if the syspath is not included
>>> in the search for tools so I don't think it can pick up on modules at
>>> present when searching for tools.
>>>
>>> I've already added in the dot syntax in a prior commit to do something
>>> different
>>> The dot syntax is currently coded to search sub-directories within
>>> toolpaths
>>> so if you have a toolname like 'Test1.TestBuilder1'
>>> and a list of toolpaths like
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath1
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath2
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath3
>>>
>>> The places it's going to search will be something like
>>> scons\engine\SCons\Tool\Test1\TestBuilder1
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath1\Test1\TestBuilder1
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath2\Test1\TestBuilder1
>>> C:\Lib\toolpath3\Test1\TestBuilder1
>>>
>>> I could change that around so that the dot means something else
>>> and use another character such as forward slash (pythonesque) as the
>>> directory separator instead.
>>> That might be a better idea
>>>
>>> # Overrinding
>>>
>>> For overriding, it's currently just currently adding to the toolpath
>>> parameter behind the scenes
>>> so the behaviour will be the same as that, I'm not sure how that works
>>> currently
>>> If toolpath overrides the inbuilt tools then this should work the same
>>> way
>>>

>>> # Suggested syntax
>>>
>>> There's a few different ways of changing the syntax around
>>> To give some examples of what I'm thinking based on what you've said
>>>
>>> 1. With the below example I've change the dot to a forward slash within
>>> the toolname
>>> "TestBuilder1" - look for tool in root of toolpath directory
>>> "ExampleDir1/TestBuilder1" - look for tool in sub-dir of toolpath
>>> directory
>>> "ExampleDir1/ExampleDir2/TestBuilder1" - look for tool in sub-dir of
>>> toolpath directory
>>>
>>> 2. This example uses a # prefix in the toolname to specify to use a
>>> python module as the base search directory (add to the toolpath)
>>> "scons_toollib_example#TestBuilder1"
>>> "scons_toollib_example.submod1#TestBuilder1"
>>> "scons_toollib_example#ExampleDir1/TestBuilder1"