[Scons-users] Slowness of SCons with a large number of targets

Manish Vachharajani manishv at unbounded.systems
Fri Apr 14 08:40:52 EDT 2017

One thing I noticed a number of years ago In regard to this is having a
node with a large out-degree (a single dependence node with lots of
targets) was much worse than many nodes with few targets.  I wrote a
builder that would take such nodes and break them up into a graph that
divided the sources and targets among a tree of many nodes each with a
small number of targets.  The actual builder would only run once but scons
thought there were many nodes and builders.  This made things much faster.
Unfortunately, the code is locked up at my prior company.

In your tests, are you creating such builders with a very large number of
targets for a single builder?

Manish