[Scons-users] Building D release and tests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Apr 11 13:05:56 EDT 2017

Answering all three emails in one reply:

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 08:06 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> If you build the same binary into the same tree with different flag
> then
> you're doing something wrong and scons should and does flag this.

Seems reasonable. I had thought I was carefully ensuring different
target directories for the three different configurations.

> In your example, you should use a diffferent build dir for tests if
> they
> need to e built with different flags..

That was the plan :-)

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 09:23 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> O.k. looking at your code now.

Thank you, I much appreciate this.

> I'll send a pull request with a fix.
> The issue is you're specifying the source as:
> '#/source/main.d' which scons will try to build as #/source/main.o
> This is not in a variant dir..

Pull request merged and proved to be efficacious. However I do not
understand it. It feels a bit awkward, is this the only idiomatic way
of doing it? Is there an indication here of a problem not come across
with C, C++, and Fortran, but now highlighted with D?

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 09:43 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:> pushed changes
to make it work..

Merged thanks, but I need a lesson in why. :-)

Thanks again for taking a look at this.

It has to be said Meson handles this better, I wonder if there is
something that SCons can take from Meson here?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk