[Scons-users] Intermittent Install() failure

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 08:34:22 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Hill, Steve (FP COM)
<Steve.Hill at cobham.com> wrote:
> OK, I've a bit more information. I've reinstated the filecmp.cmp in the decider but with a try/catch BaseException around it. I now see the problem again but the filecmp.cmp is not throwing the exception. This leads me to conclude that there is some side-effect of calling filecmp.cmp that is causing (occasionally) an issue with the SCons code after the decider is invoked but before the copy is performed. From what I can determine, filecmp.cmp uses:
>
>     with open(f1, 'rb') as fp1, open(f2, 'rb') as fp2:
>         <do compare>
>
> so I do not think that it is leaving files open and a Google search didn't yield any reports of it doing so. Hence, I'm not really any wiser as to what the root cause of the problem is. I think that I need to do this:

In our build we've had some indication that 'with open' can't be
trusted to close the file in time. At least that's our main suspicion.
So it would be very interesting if you could test this assumption
(that the problem is not with open), and try the win32 implementation
here and check whether it helps.

- Thomas