[Scons-users] How to correctly use emitters

Pierre-Luc Boily pierreluc.boily at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:04:02 EDT 2016

William,

Sorry to bug you with this again.  Emitters are easy to  understand
following the documentation "tool for fool", thx!

But, there is still something I don`t understand in my own code.  For
following example, I completely removed my emitter and call my builder like
this :

/target = env.buildGrammar(source = env['ENV']['LOCALROOT'] +
'/LINK/bin/win32/sideLibrary.jar')/

This gives the following tree :
/scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
_build_grammar(["LINK\bin\win32\sideLibrary"],
["LINK\bin\win32\sideLibrary.jar"])
+-.
  +-build
  | +-build\debug
  |   +-build\debug\sr
  |     +-build\debug\sr\sra
  |       +-build\debug\sr\sra\src
  |         +-build\debug\sr\sra\src\grammars
  |           +-build\debug\sr\sra\src\grammars\win32
  |             +-sr\sra\src\grammars\src_grammars.scj
  +-c
  +-cm
  | +-cm\scons
  |   +-cm\scons\adacelBuilders
  +-LINK
  | +-LINK\bin
  |   +-LINK\bin\win32
  |     +-LINK\bin\win32\sideLibrary
  |     | +-LINK\bin\win32\sideLibrary.jar
  |     +-LINK\bin\win32\sideLibrary.jar
  +-SConstruct
  +-sr
    +-sr\sra
      +-sr\sra\src
        +-sr\sra\src\grammars
          +-sr\sra\src\grammars\src_grammars.scj
scons: done building targets./

It you see the _build_grammar call, it looks like that scons mechanism
creates a target (sideLibrary) from sideLibrary.jar.  There is something I
really don`t understand here :(