[Scons-users] strange File() behaviour

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 13:49:40 EDT 2016

Hi Knut,

On 05.10.2016 16:08, voxspox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for preparing a report after some build stages I read in files. I use
> the File() method of the File class to access a file in the same folder
> as the origin file.
>
> I experience very strange results for the new node. Here some code. The
> variable "node" is the return value of a builder.

the underlying "virtual file system and lookup" mapping that's used under the covers of SCons is, in fact, doing some tricks with
path names and such in order to provide a VPATH-similar functionality.
What you didn't show in your example was, how you setup the folder structure. I assume you're using "variant_dir="? If yes, what
value are you setting it to?

How do you schedule the builds in relation to your reports? I mean, how do you ensure that a build is fully completed before
creating reports for it?

Finally, if you expect the files at certain places wouldn't it be easier to open them with their absolute path directly, instead of
trying to fiddle with File() and Dir()?